Balaam's Donkey



Stories of God's unfailing love never fail to warm my heart. So it was quite a treat to read about Balaam. Read on the link above for the Bible version. Here's my take on it.

Baalam was some guy that some king assigned to put a curse on a people that have just come out of Egypt. Knowing that it was a command from a king, he'd probably get a lot of moolah for simply doing it. In the first place it was a no-brainer assignment, he didn't have to move much muscles in accomplishing the task. 
But the Lord was not happy about it. He instructed Balaam to not do it. However, due to this ordinary guy's strong headed nature, he went on with the cursing task on a donkey. The Lord was not happy about what he did. So, he sent an angel to stop them.  
When the donkey saw the angel for the first time, he went back and turned into a field. This earned him some serious beating from Balaam, until he returned to the road. The donkey saw the angel of the Lord several times and he did try to stop and not continue the journey. But every time the poor donkey did it, he ended up getting beaten by Balaam. 
Then finally, when God opened Balaam's eyes, he understood why his poor Donkey was going berserk in their journey. He became ashamed and asked forgiveness from the Lord. God said that if Balaam continued on the journey he would've gotten himself killed and the donkey spared.

I could GREATLY relate to Balaam, based on personal experiences. Hahahaha. There are definitely obstacles that I could encounter in achieving my goals and plans. But, these obstacles are not necessarily all from the bad guy. Some of them are purposely and lovingly placed by God to protect me and to keep me from doing something foolish. So it takes a lot of courage and discernment to know if these things are from God or the bad guy.

I find it sweet that my Lord cares for me, and loves me with a love like this. Albeit being stubborn most of the time, He never gets tired of making sure that I am in the right track, never fails to make sure that my foolish self does not do anymore foolishness. Knowing this is a comfort that the Lord guides and protects. 

And that is more than enough reason to make me smile. :) 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Cambodia Day1

Siem Reap to Bangkok by Bus and by Train Day 3

Busy Bangkok Day 4