Why did you choose to be a teacher?

In my six semesters of teaching, I have been consistent with my first day of class routine of expectation checks and random questions. And due to the sheer creativity of my students, I constantly encounter out of this world questions. However, the question: "why did you choose to be a teacher?" sort of shocked me today because apparently, I didn't have a ready answer.

Bakit nga ba?

I was recently reminded that I wanted to become a college professor when I was still in college. Pero it was just one of those silly things that you say when you are young because a teacher was really good at what he/she did and you simply wanted to become like him/her. It was not something that I really dreamed of becoming as a child and it still doesn't answer the question.. why did I choose to be a teacher...

Bakit nga ba?

This profession is among the first jobs I applied into. It was not the first job that hired me because I turned down a job offer before this one hired me. I started teaching a few days after passing the board exam, I went out after a year (because I couldn't take it any longer), and returned a year after due to an unprecedented turn of events. Be it the "most accessible job" there is within my vicinity and skills, getting here first and returning again still does not answer the question.

Bakit nga ba?

I think that this is the will of God and I want nothing but to obey and follow His will. Could be a valid response, but this reason did not come from me. And it sounds like I was just dragged by the neck and I had no choice but to obey. I had a choice... and I have a choice to stop this madness (aka teaching), but I choose not to. If ever this is the will of God, this profession will make me a pauper compared to the self I could be if I work in the industry. Financial abundance is something that one gives up when one chooses to stay here.

Bakit nga ba? Bakit nga ba?

Maybe I just lost the answer to that question somewhere along the way. I really can't pin point a direct response as to why I started this in the first place. It is silly that that question felt too personal.

Wala akong maisip na reason kung bakit ko nga ba pinili ito... pero kung bakit ako nagsestay... kasi happy ako ngayon dito. I feel like I am a better person when I'm teaching and I feel relevant na parang may pinatutunguhang mabuti or maganda yung mga efforts ko. Though I am not sure kung meron nga ba at kung maayos ba akong magturo pero sanaa oo. Sa kasalukuyan ay hinahanap ko pa rin ang sagot dito, pero kung may isang bagay na alam ako, yun ay alam kong ang pagiging guro ay isang privilege dahil hindi lahat ng tao ay binibigyan ng pagkakataong maghubog ng mga murang isipan na balang araw ay mangunguna sa iba't ibang sektor ng ating bansa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crazy Cambodia Day1

Siem Reap to Bangkok by Bus and by Train Day 3

Busy Bangkok Day 4